Kirklees Council would like to know more about your experience of support within education and to work together to identify ideas and opportunities for the future
Kirklees Council and PCAN have previously worked with a number of parents, carers and families who have children and young people with additional needs to understand their experiences of the SEND system and local services. Previous work has included the high needs review, what early help looks like in Kirklees and the current behaviour survey.
Kirklees Council is working on improvements to the local system, but recognises that there are still gaps in its knowledge. As a result, Kirklees Council is now undertaking further work to understand more about your experiences of the SEND system with a focus on:
- Education including support for children/young people with SEN support and with EHCPs across mainstream and special education settings;
- Fixed term and permanent exclusions;
- Early years education;
- Transitions to school/between schools/school to college
Kirklees Council would like to work together with parents and carers to identify ideas and opportunities to improve the support offered to children and young people aged up to 25.
Kirklees Council is working in partnership with a public sector consultancy called IMPOWER, as well as working with PCAN, to deliver and facilitate these sessions. The experiences, ideas and opportunities identified within the workshop will be brought together with other work the Council are undertaking to help shape local support to improve the outcomes of children and young people with special educational needs.
If you would like to join the parent carer workshops there are two session being held, (you need only attend one session):
- Monday 30th March at 9:30am – 11.30 am in the Reception Room at Huddersfield Town Hall.
- Thursday 2nd April at 6:30pm – 8.30 pm at Northorpe Hall
Please book a place by registering through the Eventbrite link:
- Monday 30th March – https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/98586550025
- Thursday 2nd April – https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/98591645265
If your teenager or young person would like to share their views, they are welcome to come along. We are hoping people will tell us about good experiences, not just things that haven’t worked so that good practice can be shared.
Tea, coffee and biscuits will be provided. If you don’t have access to internet, please call Rachel from IMPOWER on 07580 047 656 to book your place.