Out and About

This page is regularly updated.  If you have any useful to information to include on here, please email info@pcankirklees.org

AccessBus:  AccessBus is a dial-a-ride bus service providing door-to-door local transport, seven days a week between 9am and 5pm. It is of particular benefit to people who are unable to use standard bus services,  as the driver assists  passengers from door-to-door, including boarding and alighting. The buses are fully accessible, fitted with seatbelts and the most up-to-date wheelchair restraints.

blue badge scheme : Blue Badges are for drivers, passengers or children with severe mobility problems and for those who are registered blind. The scheme allows badge holders to park close to their destination, but applies only to on-street parking.

CEA Card – enables a disabled cinema guest to receive a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them when they visit a participating cinema. A list of participating cinemas can be found here

Changing Places toilets:  To use the toilet in safety and comfort, many people need to be able to access a Changing Places toilet, which has more space and the right equipment, including a height adjustable changing bench and a hoist.  Please click on the link to see the changing places in Kirklees and Halifax.

Disabled or Blind Person’s Person’s Travel Pass

  • Blind passes – Free travel on buses at any time of day in West Yorkshire and off-peak throughout England, and free train travel any time in West Yorkshire.
  • Disabled passes – Free, off-peak bus travel throughout England and half-fare off-peak train travel in West Yorkshire.

Kirklees Passport – is a Council run discount scheme which gives you discounts off some activities.  A +1 passport is available for  someone with disabilities in receipt of certain benefits so they can take someone with them. There is a small charge for the passport.

Maxcard:  The Max Card is designed to make days out more financially accessible for foster families and families of children with additional needs. To find out how to purchase one click here, to find out where you can go and how much you can save at each venue, click here

Motability : The Motability Scheme provides an affordable, worry-free way for people with disabilities to lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair in exchange for their mobility allowance. The Scheme is operated by Motability Operations Ltd, under contract to Motability, a registered Charity. (To be eligible you/your child or young person needs to be in receipt of Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance or Enhanced rate of the Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment)

Railcards : For people who have a disability that makes travelling by train difficult.

You will qualify if you:

  • receive Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
  • receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) at either:
    • the higher or lower rate for the mobility component, or
    • the higher or middle rate for the care component
  • have a visual impairment
  • have a hearing impairment
  • have epilepsy
  • receive Attendance Allowance or Severe Disablement Allowance
  • receive War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
  • receive War or Service Disablement Pension for 80% or more disability
  • buy or lease a vehicle through the Motability scheme
  • The Rough Guide to Accesssible Britain : Free online guide.  Helps you to plan days out, includes:
    • Over 200 inspiring ideas for worry-free days out
    • Reviews, hints and tips by
      disabled visitors
    • Grouped by 10 regional locations – featuring great days out, scenic drives and towns
    • Accessibility information including disabled parking